Tuesday, August 10, 2010

While I'm here...

I may as well catch ya up on some other things too.

The biggest is - MATH!

So, I met up the other day with a "veteran homeschooler" and we were chatting and somehow we got on the subject of math & all the struggles I've had with my Superkid. She told me flat out...he's bored! See, I want to stay on the same ol thing until I feel that he has fully mastered it, but she said that he really just wants to be challenged and that in time those lil ol' facts WILL be mastered. (...sigh...) She's probably right.

In the meantime, Superman has taken over in the math department working with Superkid. THANK YOU JESUS!! I really needed some help since this is not just a teaching issue, this is a discipline / character issue. I'm soooo sooo thankful that my hunk of a man is willing to help and be involved!!!

Since both of these things have transpired, and after talking with someone on the SOW group back when I mentioned math on my blog, I have decided to go ahead with Saxon math using the Dive cd's. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to teach Saxon (even though it is highly recommended by EVERYONE). But, knowing that it is challenging (which should... crossing fingers... help motivate my 10 year old boy) and knowing that my hubby is willing to work with him on any questions he might have, I think it just might work!! It is supposedly a self-teaching curriculum and with the dvd it truly should be, which means that Superman shouldn't have to work too much with him, hopefully. (since he has so much on his plate anyway!)

But, with moving and all, it might take a bit for me to get organized in order to buy the math set. In the meantime we are just doing drill work. ;o)

What else...
Oh, phonics for my 5yo. I still haven't had the time or energy to make a decision on this one. Once I'm settled I will take the time to go through what I have and decide whether I will press in with the SOW phonics or use the Pathway set that I got for free. I have a feeling I will do a bit of a mix.

As I mentioned in the last post I was so super organized & prepared for the first few weeks of school and planning the school year, that I am really bummed that I'm set back a whole month.

Here was the old plan:(sorry it's sideways!)















I guess that's how life goes, eh? I'll have to spend some time working out the kinks for this year and figure out how to make up that extra month somehow. We'll see. I envision this next year to be much more challenging, but MUCH more spontaneous. The focus of this next year is on deepening our relationships within our home and with God. That's really it. If that's all we do, I'm really ok with how everything else goes. But, I have a feeling - just focusing on that will cause tremendous growth in other areas as well. ;o)

God is so very good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moving? When? Where?

Been thinking about you all lately. We couldn't afford the cow, but hope next tax time it will work out (though it will be a smaller return due to the halving of the child credit and Joy's turning 18). Feel like I'm barely surviving.

Anyway, how you all doing?

Joanne said...

Amen - I like your focus for the upcoming year :) Lord bless you all.

Love, js