Friday, February 27, 2009

Yes, we're moved and yes we're doing school...

In fact, not only did our house move but my husband's work and our church also moved - all in the same month. Just maybe God's telling us we got a little too comfortable, eh?

There is something a little familiar about school. So, before I even unpacked the kitchen (ahem, the kitchen is STILL not really unpacked but don't tell anyone) um, anyway we started up school. I mean, right away. I needed some sort of stability during all these changes.

So, I made a list (these are things we've always done, but it's worked well to have a little chart sorta thingy to check off everyday.)

Here's 9yo's list:
Brush Teeth
Get Dressed
Shower -MWFS

Pray
(sometimes prayer letter, but usually he just sits in his closet for awhile)
Read Bible
(he just picks a chapter...if we're starting a new lesson he'll read that, otherwise it's his choice.)
Math
Scripture memory
(which is penmanship/spelling)
Check SOW list - I write a list daily for him.
(this usually includes time with me, a few worksheets, etc. I usually try to keep it less than an hours worth of work truthfully.)

Clean Room
Take Out Trash
Dishes or Pickup living room
Keep Table Cleared

Pickup poop - MWF

I have to mention that he helps out a lot with misc. stuff throughout the day. With 1yo and 3yo he will play with them when I need him to,or get a snack for them or...whatever.

Am I working him too hard?

He does really well with the work work, but with school he tends to space out or get distracted easily. I am an advocate of teaching children to work hard, but I'm not one to push schooling hard. I'd rather have a son who can be quick to do what needs to be done physically, but mentally I guess I allow him to grow as life teaches him. Yikes. But, he is doing much better than I ever think he should be at any given time. I'll scan in (with my new scanner I got for Christmas) his creative writing from yesterday so you can see...

Ooops, yesterday's had all the kids names all over it. Hmm...how about Monday's? Ok, here ya go. Well...that's not working either. It says "internal error" so I'll have to figure that out and get back to ya.

Anyway, we're here and we're having fun. Really, we are having fun. Superkid is learning about weapons. What young man is not happy to learn about weapons??? Ha Ha.

I'll check back in later when I can.

tty'a later..........................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad things are going good. Been thinking about you lately and may call today or tomarrow.Cow milking is time consuming and a bit more physical work than my poor ole' body is used to. You should come learn how sometime:-)